Print Your Coupons Here!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Weekly Shopping--saved 81%

Roundy's had their super-doubles event yesterday where they doubled 10 coupons per transaction instead of the normal 5. There was some questions as to whether coupons would double if they said "Do Not Double", but I asked at the service desk and she said the register would still double them automatically. I did 2 transactions and doubled 20 coupons (some said DND, but they all doubled automatically). I only bought what was on sale or what I had a coupon for, so I spent $16.68 and saved $70.23, a savings of 81%.

These items were better than free: Pillsbury pizza crust x4 and sweet rolls x2. I did the Pillsbury catalina deal and had $2.64 in overage. :-) I also earned an automatic "Roundy's Reward" of $1 off my order for spending $20 (which must be calculated before coupons).

These items were free: Salt and Pepper set x2, Puffs tissues, Crispix cereal, and Cheese Nips.

These items were $1 or less: Kleenex tissues, No Yolks x2, eggs x4, Kraft sliced cheese x2, Kraft shredded cheese x2, Kraft parmesan cheese, Hunt's spaghetti sauce x2, Chili powder x2, Muir Glen diced tomatoes x4, Uncrustables x2, bananas, lettuce, and Sunny D smoothie.

I also bought:
Johnsonville italian sausage (for lasagna), New York garlic toast, and Orange juice.I went to Walgreens to buy my milk because they will take the free chocolate milk coupons. I got 4 gallons of milk and 2 half gallons of chocolate milk. I spent 11.16 on milk at Walgreens, making my overall total for the week $27.84. I really only paid $6.16 OOP at Walgreens because I used the $5 Huggies RR--and I had used the $10 Pepsi RR to pay for the Huggies, but I count the RRs (or catalinas) toward the product I am buying (to consider if it is a good deal), so that's why I didn't count it toward my OOP on the milk.

My goal is to spend an average of about $50 a week on groceries throughout the month. Because I shop the sales, usually I have a couple of bigger weeks and a couple of smaller weeks. This week was a smaller week. My average spending for the month of January was $52.32 with an average savings of 71.5% or $116 a week. (You can see my other shopping trips for the month here, here, and here.) If I spend 2 1/2 hours a week clipping coupons and shopping sales, that's like "making" $46 an hour! Is couponing worth it? It is to me! :-)

I chatted with Caela in the store and we both noticed that the sales were weaker on the super-doubles weeks. Last time the store doubled 10 coupons I also spent less than usual (not that I'm complaining!). I like that they've done it at the end of the month both times, so I can use up some coupons that are about to expire. Rumor has it this might become a semi-regular occurence. I won't complain, as long as all my coupons double!

How about you? What deals did you score at your store? Leave a comment so I can celebrate with you! :-)

16 comments:

Kristy said...

Great deals! I loaded up on the brats since they were $3.49 and I had $1 off of 2 coupons so I bought 4 packs. I also got the Pillsbury stuff & stocked up on Progresso soups, Ortega products (25% off plus $0.75 off 2) and dishwasher detergents/rinse aids. I spent a little bit more than normal but I used a lot of coupons up (only one transaction though). I plan to go all next month (starting Monday) by only spending $50 on groceries for the entire month. I have pizzas stocked up for my husband (he only eats frozen cheese pizzas everyday) so I have 38 of those in the freezer, lots of meats and I figure I'll only have to buy milk and some produce here and there... hopefully we can do it! I'm going to try to keep up on my blog: http://kraftykristyskorner.blogspot.com/

I'm going to call it Frugal February... lol!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Kristy-
I LOVE your idea of Frugal February!

Kara said...

My store didn't give me overage on 6 of my coupons :( The register automatically adjusted them down.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Kara-
I'm wondering which coupons you are referring to. If the register automatically adjusted them down, it's probably because doubling them would have been more than the regular price of the item.

For example, if you have a $1/1 Muir Glen coupon, doubled it will only take off $1.99 because the item is regularly $1.99. If you buy the item when it is on sale for $1.79, you will get some overage because it will double to $1.99. However, the coupon will never double to $2.

Another example is the StarKist tuna packs. I had a $1/1 coupon this week and they were on sale for $1. The regular price is $1.19, so if I double the coupon, it will only take off $1.19 (which gives me $0.19 if I buy them on sale, but only gives it for free if I buy it regular price).

Does that help? Was that the case with your coupons?

Caela Brenn said...

Good job Jessica! 81% is crazy! I didn't do that good, but I am honored to have made an appearance in the blog!! :)

Noelle said...

That's cool they up the limit of Qs that double!
Great shopping!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, which Rainbow do you shop at usually? I have had both good and bad experiences at the AV store (mostly good).

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Hi Anonymous-
No, I don't normally shop at the AV Rainbow.

Kara said...

Yep, that was the problem. Thanks for your help, Jessica!

Mary K said...

I saved SO much money this week thanks to you! I really appreciate you posting the coupon matches to make it easier! Thanks!

Laurie H said...

I did it this week! I saved 53% on my groceries spending only $64.00!!

I am loving couponing and it has really made me look at what I used to spend our money on...too many snacks......even though fruit and veggies can be more expensive out of season I am saving enough to strategically purchase them!

i am shooting for $75 or less a week...but I buy my meat and chickens from an organic farm...so I will buy a 1/2 or 1/4 cow about 2-3 times a year and my chickens come in the summer ...about 25 of them. I will have to figure that all out but still...i was spending 125.00/week in addition to the beef and chickens before!!!

I am pumped! $64.00 this week...
thanks for your encouragement!

Lauren said...

Great Site and Cute Pic! I love saving money and that is what you did for sure!!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to couponing and love to see what you buy. I have a couple of question for you. I was wondering how you knew your store was doing super doulbe event. Did you know before you went shopping and if so, how did you find out about it, or did you find out when you got to the store. Also, I think I do good at my shopping trips, but it's nothing like yours. Does it take awhile to get really good at this?
Thanks!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Anonymous-
The 10 doubled coupons was advertised in the weekly flyer that came in the paper. And yes, it does take a little while to get in the swing of things and save even more. Have patience, don't give up, and you will see your savings increase! :-)
Jessica

Mommy Petersen said...

I hope you're right about it being a more frequent aoccourance. I'm a week behind you in the ads so the 10 double coupons worked perfectly with the cereal deal you had the week before. Lots of free items for me and the charity dinner I was planning. I did 6 transactions! And spent under $20!!! I could have gone back for another but I had to stop myself! :)

Jessica-MomForHim said...

WOW! 6 transactions for under $20? That's awesome!! :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin