Print Your Coupons Here!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Make Your Own Resurrection Eggs

I posted this last year, but I know I have some new readers, so I wanted to share it again. It is an easy and frugal activity to put together, and it provides HOURS of fun for kids, while helping them remember the Easter story.

One tradition my family enjoys each year to incorporate the real meaning of Easter are Resurrection Eggs. They are a set of plastic eggs filled with items to help tell the story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. You can buy a set for $6.99 here, or you can make a set of your own! All you need is an egg carton, 12 plastic eggs, and a set of symbols to put inside, as well as some verses to go along with them.

There are different versions of Resurrection Eggs, so I'll make a list of the versions I've found and you can pick and choose to assemble your set with what you have on hand, keeping in mind the order of the story. Real items work best (for sensory participation), but pictures work too, and a mixture of both is fine.
  1. Palm Branch/Leaf OR Donkey (a picture would work)
  2. Cup OR Bread/Cracker
  3. Coins
  4. Praying hands
  5. Leather Strip OR Purple Cloth
  6. Thorns OR Nails
  7. Cross
  8. Sponge OR Dice OR "King of the Jews" Sign
  9. Spear/Toothpick OR Sponge
  10. Gauze/Linen OR Spices/Cinnamon Stick
  11. Stone
  12. Empty!
Now print out the verses for the items you chose:
Donkey: Mark 15:7
Palm Branch: Mark 15:8-10
Bread: Matthew 26:26
Cup: Matthew 26:27
Coins: Matthew 26:14-15
Praying Hands: Matthew 26:36
Leather Strip: Mark 15:15
Purple Cloth: Mark 15:17
Thorns: Matthew 27:29
Nails: John 20:25
Cross: John 19:17
Dice: Matthew 27:35
Sponge: Matthew 27:48
Sign: Luke 23:38
Spear: John 19:34
Gauze: Mark 15:46
Spices: John 19:40
Stone: Matthew 27:59-60
Empty Tomb: Matthew 28:6

I highly recommend that you number the eggs on the outside, so you know which egg to open first. This way kids can tell what order the eggs go in as well. You can also print out the verses and cut them up to put inside each egg or leave them all together and keep the verse list with the set. Our family likes to take turns hiding the eggs. Then the girls find them and put them in the egg carton and once we have them all, we go through them in order, retelling the story of Jesus' death and resurrection. Have fun making your set!

3 comments:

Mimi N said...

Just found your blog! I have to get my resurrection eggs out of the garage so that we can use them! It'll be our furst time this year. It's been so awesome seeing postings about the eggs around the blogosphere this Easter.

I think my boys are old enough to "get it" this year. It'll be nice to have my aunt here for a visit, too. It's good when she sees our faith in action. Was even thinking about watching The Passion on Easter!

Don't know if you'd be interested in a new resource for families getting ready for Easter. It's something I just learned about. The YouTube video is intense! It's a video series by Big Book Films. http://www.bigbookfilms.com/

I'm now a follower. Have a great and blessed Easter week.

~Mimi @ Woven by Words

Mrs. Doring said...

Thanks for posting the variety! I planned to spend my evening printing out different versions of Resurrection Eggs so my teaching partner and I could decide which one we wanted to go with. Your list was so helpful! Our Sunday School class has seen these eggs dozens of times, so this year, we're going to have each child make a set of their own to take home and share with their families. =)

Mrs. Doring said...

Thanks for posting the variety! I planned to spend my evening printing out different versions of Resurrection Eggs so my teaching partner and I could decide which one we wanted to go with. Your list was so helpful! Our Sunday School class has seen these eggs dozens of times, so this year, we're going to have each child make a set of their own to take home and share with their families. =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin