Print Your Coupons Here!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Crock Pot Applesauce

Cameron and Linda let me borrow their crock pot cookbooks, since I am determined to give this crock pot thing a try. I used it to make some applesauce with some of the apples we picked last weekend.
I cut up a bunch of apples with my handy Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer from Pampered Chef. I love that thing this time of year! I put the apples in the crock pot, added a little sugar, sprinkled in some cinnamon and nutmeg, a little bit of lemon juice, and a couple cups of water. The recipe said 3-4 hours on high.

My dilemma: The apples weren't done by bedtime. I don't have one of those fancy "smart" crock pots with a timer on it, so I was lamenting that I'd probably have to set my alarm to get up in the middle of the night to turn off the crock pot when Ted said, "why don't you plug it into one of those timers we have for the lamps?" I said, "you're so smart honey!" to which he replied, "you don't need a smart crock pot, you already have a smart husband!" :-) So true!

So I set the timer for a few more hours and went to bed. Of course, since I haven't left a crock pot on all night, let alone plugged into a timer, I was still nervous about it. I didn't want to wake up to burnt apple mess, so I still checked on it in the middle of the night (F was up to eat anyway . . . such is life).

The apples were done by morning, but I knew the applesauce was too chunky for my kids to want to eat it, so I quickly ran it through the blender and it turned out perfectly! The girls loved warm, homemade applesauce with their breakfast.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin