Print Your Coupons Here!

Friday, August 7, 2009

Our Alone Vacation. . .and Turf Toe

I mentioned that for part of our three week vacation this summer, my parents watched the girls for us so we could get away for a few days by ourselves! It was so great to know the kids were in good hands, and it was nice for us to be able to reconnect without constant interruptions. We went to the beach, relaxed and basically did whatever we wanted to!

One of the fun things we did was go parasailing! Neither one of us had ever been parasailing before, and I'm so glad we did it! We even got dipped into the water before being pulled in. :-)


We spent time walking on the beach, we rented some bikes and went for a ride along the boardwalk, we went shopping and we went out to eat. It was wonderful.

By the time we returned back to my parents house, it was obvious I had hurt my foot somehow. I couldn't imagine what I could have done to it, and all I could think was that something had happened while walking in the sand. After a few days I couldn't walk on it at all, and it hurt even when I wasn't using it. My big toe and the area around it swelled up so much I couldn't even get my sandals on. It was incredibly painful, yet embarrassing because it's my toe, for goodness sake!

Eventually I went to urgent care and they did an x-ray and said it wasn't broken (whew!). His diagnosis was "turf toe", so named because athletes often get it from playing on artificial turf. He said it was a sprain of the tendons and ligaments often caused by overextension of the big toe, which is consistent with walking on dry sand at the beach. He recommended I stay off that foot completely for 7-10 days. Say what?! I have four young kids! Easier said than done!

Thankfully, my sister had some crutches I could borrow, and while I was in the house, I tried to wheel around using my dad's wheelchair at least some of the time for the next couple of days. I found a video online telling how to tape the toe to immobilize it, and that helped some, too. I was also thankful that we were at my parents' house, so they could help out with the kids.

Admittedly, I wasn't great about staying off my feet completely, though. Life goes on and so must I. The swelling went down after a few nights of icing and heating it, but even now, over a month later, it is still sore if I am on my feet a lot (which is most days as a mom). And this brings me to another point. . .

I've been on the hunt for some new sandals, since my old ones were giving out anyway and certainly weren't supportive enough for my toe. Shopping for sandals at the end of summer is easier said than done. I thought it would be great since they'd all be on sale and I'd find something for a great deal! Wrong. I've been to countless stores, tried on probably 100 pairs, and I can't find anything that is supportive enough and doesn't hurt my feet. It reminded Ted of an old Steve Martin short story, called Cruel Shoes. One of the quotes from the story is, "Well, that's every shoe in the place. Unless, of course, you'd like to try the cruel shoes."

The moral of this story? Walking on the beach hand-in-hand with your husband, though healthy for your marriage, can be detrimental to the health of your toe, and to shoe shopping forevermore. :-(

5 comments:

Andy and Katie said...

How fun, Jessica!!!! So happy that you guys got away for a few days and got to do new things like parasailing!

Sorry about the toe...and the end of summer shopping. I've run into that before as well!

Andy and Katie said...

How fun, Jessica!!!! So happy that you guys got away for a few days and got to do new things like parasailing!

Sorry about the toe...and the end of summer shopping. I've run into that before as well!

Anonymous said...

A three week vacation doesnt sound that frugal.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

No, hotel stays and parasailing are not the most frugal activites. But for the bulk of the 3 weeks we stayed with my parents, which was free. We shopped for groceries with coupons (of course!) and saved money on food.

However, I'm not all that sure I need to justify it! We only see my parents once or twice a year, and if you've read my blog, you know my dad has had serious health issues this year (cancer and a quadruple bypass within 4 months), so we wanted to be able to make the most of it.

And even so, we are frugal in other areas of our life so that we can splurge once in awhile on the things that matter most, like spending time with family! If you can't spend money on the things that matter, then what is the point?

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Oh, and if you read more carefully, you'll see that my husband and I were only away for THREE NIGHTS. We have 4 young kids and haven't had a vacation alone since they were born. Protecting your marriage is an important thing to do, and we needed (and wanted) some time away alone to refocus on each other. I'm thankful to my parents for making that possible.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin