Print Your Coupons Here!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ringing Bells

On Monday morning, all 4 girls and I braved the VERY cold weather to ring bells for the Salvation Army. A friend of mine turned me on to this idea last year, and I thought it was a great way for the girls and I to serve together. I want to teach them the importance of serving and helping those who are less fortunate than us. H and G both understand that we are raising money to help the poor, and they collect food for the Salvation Army in the summer, so they are somewhat familiar with the organization.

I had signed us up for a 2 hour shift in between the doors at a local grocery store, thinking it would be warm. Unfortunately, this particular grocery store didn't have the heat on between the doors that morning. Further, the outside temperature was 2 degrees (not exaggerating!) and the windchill was below zero. We were bundled up and started off alright, ringing bells and singing Christmas carols. We went into the store a couple of times for a break to warm up during the first 1 1/2 hours, and after that I let the girls go into the play area inside the store while F and I finished off our shift (she was in the Ergo in my jacket, so she was nice and warm!).

It was worth it, though! The workers in the grocery store all came to "ooh and aah" at the cute girls ringing bells and one man even took a picture (I wish I'd remembered my camera!). Several shoppers commented on their way out that they couldn't possibly pass up those faces without giving a donation, so I think we did our part to help out! We'll definitely do it again next year, but I'll be more selective about which store I choose next time. I really like the idea of this becoming a Christmas tradition for us to serve together.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin