Print Your Coupons Here!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Me and My Sports Injuries

I don't play any sports, but apparently I am prone to sports injuries. Two years ago I got "turf toe" from walking on the beach on our vacation. Now I've been diagnosed with another sports injury.

The weekend after Easter I was outside planting some gorgeous tulip plants I had gotten on clearance. It was a nice day, but it was VERY windy. A large branch fell off our tree and hit me square in the elbow. Ouch! I was just glad it didn't hit one of the girls in the head, as they were all outside with me.

I figured my elbow would be sore for awhile, but after two months it still hurt so I finally went to the doctor. They x-rayed it and said it wasn't fractured. They diagnosed it as "tennis elbow", which is usually caused by repetitive movement, but can also be caused by a trauma to the outer part of the elbow.

It is my right arm, which makes healing difficult. Picking up and pouring a gallon of milk or screwing off the cap of the jelly are painful and can continue re-injuring the area and prevent healing of the tendon. I've got a brace and I'm supposed to take ibuprofen and ice the elbow, along with doing some stretching exercises.

Hopefully I'll be on the mend soon. And hopefully I won't get any more sports injuries while doing normal activities!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have tennis elbow, in my left elbow, and have no idea where I got it from. The only thing I can remember is helping to fold up a ping pong table (back in November) and it falling back down and me trying to catch it. I do have some repetitive motion with that arm (job related) and lifting a 2 year old and using my left side as it's more comfortable which keeps the pain being bothersome .
I diagnosed my injury myself through online searches and found some exercises that seem to help. I do use heat/ice to help alleviate the pain when it gets really painful.
I hope that you too will be able to get some relief. I read that it can take a long time for it to "heal".

Karen VandenBush

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Karen-
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this too! They told me to take lots of ibuprofen to reduce swelling around the tendon and muscle, ice it, and do some stretching exercises. If it isn't better after 2 weeks they suggested physical therapy.

Courtnay said...

I read your blog re: the non-sports injuries and had to laugh. That is exactly the type of thing that happens to me! My foot, knee, wrists.... I wonder what would happen to us if we did actually exercise or play sports!

Gina said...

Just saw your “sports injury” post and I’m sorry for your pain and hope you heal well & quickly. BUT, for whatever reason, it struck me as funny. I’m sorry, but I’m actually giggling. I’m wondering what sports injury might plaque you next and the most improbable ones come to mind J Please understand that I’m just trying to thank you for brightening my day (in the most politically incorrect way possible)

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I'm actually glad it made you laugh! It is pretty weird! :-)

Kris said...

Oh my gosh - I really feel bad for you and feel your pain. But I have to say - thank you so much for the laugh! That was really funny. I never heard of Turf Toe and that is just so funny! Thanks for the good laugh, but I am sorry for your pain!!!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Thanks Kris!
I know it is kinda funny!
I'll be okay-- I told the nurse I've given birth 5 times, so it is painful, but not THAT bad! ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin