Print Your Coupons Here!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Not Quite the Easter We Planned. . .

Happy Resurrection Day!

I hope you all had an enjoyable Easter with friends and family. Unfortunately, ours didn't quite go as planned. . .

We did a couple of Easter egg hunts on Saturday morning and everything was going fine. The girls had a good time, we saw friends, had some cookies and punch, and they brought home some candy and little prizes. One place had an egg walk which was simple, but fun for the kids.

Here are some pictures from the day, which seemed to go innocently enough. Ted later embarked on his journey to build me a storage cabinet and fired up his new table saw. Thankfully there were no injuries!

Saturday evening we brought F's toddler bed into the big girls' room and prepared to have her spend her first night there. We pulled out the spring dresses for church and all the girls were excited. We sat down for family Bible time, and during our discussion of the passage G had read, F started saying "tummy hurt, tummy hurt" and within about a minute she had thrown up all over me and the floor. Ted cleaned up the floor while I dealt with F and myself and the big girls hid in their closet (because the wet vac was loud, and they like any opportunity to hide in their closet--and hey, it kept them out of the way). With that all dealt with, we all prayed and F went to bed in her crib in her own room instead. I went down to tackle laundry and Ted went out to get us some ice cream after a hard ordeal (what a guy)!

In between loads, I kept hearing F over the monitor throwing up again and again. She got a second and third bath, and after I had changed her crib sheets for the third time, I had the brilliant idea to just lay down some puddle pads and receiving blankets so I wouldn't have to change the whole bed. This worked for the next two episodes before I had to change the bed again. More laundry. I pulled out some new cleaning products I had received from My Blog Spark and started sanitizing (more on that in another post). Ted arrived with ice cream and we sat down to watch "24" from last week while the washing machine cranked away. More throwing up by F, poor thing.

About midnight, things seemed to settle down so Ted and I went to bed. I wasn't even asleep yet when I heard crying from down the hall. H was throwing up in her top bunk bed. Being big and pregnant, I just stood down on the floor, not knowing what to do exactly. Once she finished, she was able to climb down and I gave her another bath while Ted tackled the mess of a bed (thank goodness he wasn't out of town!). And oh, what a mess it was. Because we had just moved F's bed in there, she managed to hit 3 beds as well as the floor. I set H up in our room on the floor and went to help Ted. And start more laundry (now adding pillows and comforters to the mix).

About 2am I sent Ted to bed while I babysat the laundry. About 3am I noticed that the washing machine had leaked all over the floor. I tried to mop it up, but didn't know the cause or the extent, so I woke Ted up at 3:30 and he went down to try to fix it. I tried to sleep, but H kept throwing up and Ted was banging trying to fix the machine downstairs.

I think Ted came up about 5:30 and we slept until 6:30am when G came into our room dressed in her Easter dress and excited about church. I caused tears when I told her we wouldn't be going to church this morning, due to two sick kids and a complete lack of sleep. I got up with G, M, and F while Ted tried to get a little more sleep. I realized I had been planning to fill and hide Easter baskets after the kids were in bed last night, but it obviously hadn't happened. Oh well, I guess we'll celebrate late this year. At least we had done resurrection eggs and resurrection crescents!

10 comments:

Sara said...

That's so horrible, Jessica. I hope you're all feeling better now, and that you all get much needed sleep tonight.

fredsburgmomof3 said...

I keep and wash empty gallon ice cream containers and when the kids are sick they throw up in those. It keeps the beds clean and they just keep them in the bed next to them. I will also let them sleep on an air mattress on the floor. We just dump the bucket into the toilet, wash it out and it's ready to go again. We do throw them away after all that, but maybe it will work for you too.

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all that! It's hard enough dealing with sick children, but to add being pregnant in the mix is 10 times harder. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

The NEW Mommiez Blend said...

Oh Jessica! Hope everyone is feeling better. Including you and Ted. Hope you got the well deserved rest you needed. I know it's a little late, but Happy Easter. :)

Jennie said...

Oh, Jessica... I'm sorry to hear of your crummy night. I hope the day got better.

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Fredsburgmomof3-
Buckets (or bowls) are a lifesaver, and our older kids (including H) do know how to throw up in a bowl. But this came on so quickly, we didn't have a chance. Even if H had a bowl in her bed, I don't think she would have had time to use it, as she didn't even have time to call for us before it just started coming and coming. She could hardly cry out it was coming so fast. Normally she can give us some notice that she isn't feeling well and we can get her the bowl in time, but being it was after midnight and no warning. . . it happens, I guess. :-(

Because it came on so quickly and they had no fevers or any other symptoms, we suspect food poisoning, but are not sure from what. We wondered if the rest of us would get it, but H and F do seem to have the weakest stomachs, so I suspect that is why they got it.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes, we are off to bed to catch up on sleep! :-) Happy Easter!

SavingMom said...

sorry to hear about the sickness...praying for full and quick recovery

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
We too had the flu bug hit our granddaughter M while at the grocery store on Saturday afternoon. She had another episode after we got home, but thankfully I had her in the bathroom and quickly put her over the sink. I gave her a bath and just about the time I was ready to get her out of the tub, she lost it from the other end. I no sooner got her out and got a diaper on her when she lost it again. Thankfully, I had the diaper on her this time.

It seems that whatever is going around doesn't last real long, but it must be hard hitting.

Praying that no one else gets sick at your house or ours.

Karen V

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Oh, sorry Karen! We didn't have to deal with "the other end" this time around (we did when we had it in early March, though). This time I suspected food poisoning, since it hit so fast and so hard with no fever or anything else.

Everyone was fine yesterday, but I just finished cleaning up from F throwing up again after lunch, so now I'm not so sure.

Ugh. I was really hoping since March was total sickness month over here (stomach flu the first two weeks and BAD colds the last two weeks) that April we would be healthy so we could prepare for baby. So far it's not looking promising...

Angela said...

Yuck-o! I forgot you were so far along (pregnant-wise.) That quadruples the horribleness. I bet you were exhausted. I hope everyone is feeling better and you've been able to recoup.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin