Print Your Coupons Here!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Secret Ingredient Raspberry Jam

I tried a new jam recipe yesterday, and you'll never guess what the secret ingredient is!
Green tomatoes! I hate throwing out all the green tomatoes at the end of the season each year. In the past I've tried to get them to ripen inside and I've tried making fried green tomatoes. Maybe I didn't do it right, but both "experiments" were failures. This year was the same as every other--I had a big bowl of green tomatoes when I had to pull out my tomato plants.

This summer when I was making rhubarb berry jam, I stumbled upon a recipe for raspberry jam that used green tomatoes. I stored it away, anxious to be able to use my green tomatoes for a purpose this year!

Puree your tomatoes.I had 2 cups of puree, so I added 2 cups of sugar and brought it to a boil.Simmer for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.Remove from heat and add a 3 oz. box of raspberry gelatin. Stir until dissolved.Now can you tell the difference, that this isn't real raspberry jam? The tomato seeds look like raspberry seeds! And it tastes good, too! Pour into jars, cool in the fridge, keep in the freezer. Or you could probably can it, but I don't have a pot deep enough yet. Someday I'll tackle that! Looks just like the real thing, doesn't it?
I bet no one will guess it's made with green tomatoes!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin