Print Your Coupons Here!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Locks of Love

H has always had very long hair. She likes it that way, and her daddy really loves her long hair, too. He decided that it would be okay to cut it if she was doing it for a good cause, so for many months we have been talking about Locks of Love.

Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces for financially disadvantaged children who are suffering from long-term or permanent medical hair loss. When we told H that some little girls don't have any hair, she loved the idea of sharing her hair with a little girl. Hair donations must be at least 10 inches long.

We decided to put off cutting her hair until summer, but then baby F was born, and it was probably too much change at once, because H changed her mind and wanted to keep her long hair. That's fine, we said. We love your long hair.

Last week she brought it up again.
H: "Mommy, I want to cut my hair short."
J: "Why, honey? Don't you like your long hair anymore?"
H: "Yes, I DO like my long hair, but I want to share it with a little girl who doesn't have any hair."

We waited to see if she would change her mind, but this time she didn't. Several times this week she'd ask when we were going to cut her hair. I'd ask her why and she'd repeat the above conversation. She was ready and she really wanted to do this.

After I cut her ponytail off, she felt it and said, "Ooo, it's soft. A little girl is really going to like this hair."

She went to the mirror to check out her new 'do. I told her that she looks pretty with short hair and with long hair, but even prettier is her heart.

5 comments:

Connie said...

So sweet!
Blessings Today,
Connie

tinamcollins said...

What a sweet girl! I need a kleenex after I was done reading this post. You must be so proud of your girls :)

Unknown said...

Aw, she's so cute with the short hair. I can see it parted on one side with a little barrette holding it back.

My dad has a thing where he pulls my hair and asks me when I'm going to make a wig for someone. I keep telling him it's not long enough, though it might be. I look horrible with short hair though. People tend to call me 'sir'.

Good job H!

Kerri

Jessica-MomForHim said...

From Mother:
"WHAAAAAAT????? When did this happen?? Indeed, some little girl is going to be very happy! And you are still DARLING, H! It is darling and I'll bet she is feeling light headed!! I was so surprised!! Tell her I think she did a very nice thing to give her hair away. I'll bet this is a shock for Ted. Whoa - I'm still so surprised! I thought you took her to a hairdresser - great job, Mommy!!"

Jessica-MomForHim said...

From Mrs. H:
"H you are a Beautiful little girl!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin