Print Your Coupons Here!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Moms Unite!

I was reading a friend's blog about the "other" side of parenting...the not so glamorous side that includes discipline and dirty diapers and the like. She mentioned the mom in the store with a tantruming toddler and said that next time she sees a mom in this situation, instead of shooting her a dirty look she would instead encourage the mom to stick with it. I thought this was a great idea! I mean, I don't usually give dirty looks (at least I don't think I do!), but taking another step out of my comfort zone to actually SAY something to encourage them could potentially be a bright spot in a mom's otherwise "terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day"! Next time I witness a tantrum (or experience one!), I will give a sympathetic smile and say, "this too shall pass". We've all been there, and if you haven't you most likely will be! Just a simple "this too shall pass" and a smile could do wonders for that mom. Us moms need to stick together! We all need reminders on bad days that the bad day will end...at some point...even if it's not until midnight.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not until I was that mom getting the looks did this really dawn on me. I'm not really looking forward to the next tantrum experience - mine or someone elses' - however, I'm excited to try the new technique out.

I must admit when I go out without the kids or am trying to enjoy a childless get together with whoever it might be, the screaming kid usually puts a damper on my parade. If it continues for an extended period of time I usually shoot one of those dirty looks over trying to encourage the person to take the kid and go! I'm going to try a lot harder to be super conscious about that look, though!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin