Print Your Coupons Here!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Double Whorl

Here's a picture of the back of F's head. I think it is terribly interesting (and cute!) that she has a double whorl!

I was curious as to how often this occurs, so I did a little research (don't you love Google?) Here's what I learned from a hair restoration site:

  • Each individual whorl is unique.
  • The most common is the clockwise whorl.
  • The next most common, which occurs in about ten percent of men, is the counterclockwise pattern of the whorl.
  • About four percent have a double whorl, with a whorl on the right side of center and a whorl on the left side of center.
  • A single gene controls handedness and whorl orientation (from a genetics study)
  • A counterclockwise whorl is more common with left handedness while ambidextrous individuals commonly have a double whorl (from forhair.com)
It is hard to tell on girls with long hair, but our other three seem to have clockwise whorls, although G is definitely left-handed. Do you or someone you know have a counterclockwise or double whorl? I don't remember seeing one before, though I don't make a habit of looking at the backs of people's heads (unless they are my babies)!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Asher has a doubl whirl in the front.. think Flock of Seagulls. :o)

td99 said...

That's interesting. My youngest son has like a widow's peak on the back of his neck. They buzz it straight when he gets it cut and its back in a few days. I wonder what that means.

That's really fascinating all you save with coupons. I've been following your blog for a few weeks. I think Linda sent a link about the coupons after I commented on some other article she sent out.

Tara

Blog Widget by LinkWithin